Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TODAY

Yesterday, I was on the TODAY show talking presidential politics because I'm the undecided, unmarried in PA type.  Which means I'm the target of the both the Obama and McCain campaign.  Awesome until they ring your door bell in the middle of the Eagles/Steelers game.  


Anyhow - the experience was a lot of fun and Meredith is great, but there just wasn't enough time to get into all the issues that matter to me and the other undecided women on the panel - Gen and Debbie.  So I've decided to put my verbocity to work here on this blog.  

As a primer - here's a rough profile of me: 27, Catholic, single, live and work in Center City Philadelphia, employed by Braithwaite Communications (marketing and PR agency), politics major in college (Catholic University - DC), originally from New Jersey, don't own a car or home, registered Republican.

Politically, I fall in line with the Republicans on my pro-life stance, low taxes, small government, "hands off" approach to the economy, gun rights.

My other primary issues include: foreign relations, environment, investment in technology and alternative energy, education, gay rights, equal pay for women, crime, and the ECONOMY.

Right now, I'm leaning Obama.  I think he's the special kind of politician we only get once a generation.  I also believe he's a fundamentally reasonable person - which I value tremendously.

I'm also excited by Sarah Palin because of her pro-life stance, her ability to balance work and family, and her ambition.  She's the kind of woman I know and like.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to add to this blog at least once a day.  My goal is to share how my opinions change in response to the debates, ads, PR, and policy plans the candidates put forth between now and the election.  

I really wish I had done it during the 30+ hours I spent watching the Conventions.  By there's no time like the present.  So here we go...

2 comments:

Ben said...

You're about to get a lot of hits, as you were just featured on politico.com. I'll be stopping by and reading daily from now on, and I invite you to do the same. My blog is more of a mishmash of politics, football, and television--it seems you like at least two of those things, so maybe I'll see you often.

I also lived in York, PA until a couple years ago, and my brother still lives in Philly. To remove any illusions ahead of time, we're both firmly for Obama at this point.

Two websites to help you decide who to vote for, if you don't know them already, are politifact.com and factcheck.org. They sort out the truth from the lies for both candidates. Look forward to blogging with you!

Unknown said...

I just hit the double nickle. I did not marry my cradle Catholic until I was your age. I not only converted to Catholicism, but changed party registration to Democrat when we married. My father-in-law met RFK at Georgetown in the late 50's and has worked on ethics in business issues in his retirement. I hate lawyer jokes!

With six daughters and two grandchildren you know where I stand on the issues of life. However, life runs the whole spectrum for me. War is not Pro-Life. I dislike having to remind fellow parishioners that JPII found no justification for the Iraq war.

I consider the budget a moral document. Pursuing social justice means combating violence and discrimination. Making a just economic life with wages and access to shelter have a correlation to reductions in abortions. I have found reading Douglas Kmeic a good resource, if you are open to any more suggestions. He is at Pepperdine now.

I also could have voted for the McCain of 2000. As the debate on his amendment to the 2005 Defense bill proceeded, the White House pushed for big loopholes. The pontiff reminds us that is never any justification for torture; it debases the torturer and the tortured. I thought that of all people, John S. McCain III would have understood this.